Thank you to everyone who shared and responded to my call on social media for legislative ideas to help us come together and get through this challenging time.
With your help and input, I will be introducing legislation-- the “COVID-19 Emergency Protections Act”-- that will require that during this state of emergency, the State of California will:
- Establish uniform statewide regulations for paid sick leave, such as an extension of paid sick time for full-time salaried employees, as well as paid sick time for part-time or hourly employees, independent contractors, or day laborers.
- Ensure consumer protections by having utilities provide waivers on late or non-payments so that Californians may continue to have access to vital public goods such as electricity and water
- Provide schools with additional protections and waivers related to average daily attendance to protect against loss in attendance (Average Daily Attendance) funding
- Continue to provide students in need in public and charter schools with daily nutritional free or reduced-price meals
- Protect small businesses from wrongful eviction or closure of business by implementing a moratorium on rent collection or eviction
- Provide zero-interest rate loans for small businesses
This has been a challenging week for all of us. But I firmly believe we must maintain a mindset focused on how we can prepare, protect and care for everyone around us. We must not give in to irrational fear and hysteria. We must follow facts and science, and take reasonable steps to keep us all safe. Remember, the steps we take together as a community can help slow the spread of COVID 19– and literally save lives.
We’re all in this together. The individual decisions we make and actions we take affect us all collectively.
Hang in there. Take care of one another. We’ll get through this together.